New Hall, Dymchurch
The New Hall in Dymchurch dates back to the time when Dymchurch was once the headquarters for law and order on the Marsh; the name Dymchurch derives from Deme, mediaeval English for judge or arbiter. It was here where the governors of the Marsh resided (known as The Lord of the Level), and where swift justice was administered to anyone endangering the wellbeing of the Marsh
The governors met in a court room called the New Hall, located in what is now New Hall Close opposite the church. It was originally a wooden structure with a thatched roof, but was rebuilt in 1575 after the earlier wooden structure was destroyed in a storm. It was used as a court room for the Romney Marsh area.
In the new hall the Lords of the Level, jurats, and bailiffs met to discuss and rule the Marshland which was their domain. Their primary concern was the effective maintenance of the walls and drainage throughout the Marsh. The group still meets annually today although legislation has removed their former ruling powers.
The head magistrate was known as Leveller of the Marsh Scotts. It was here that the so-called scot tax was introduced, levied on residents to fund maintenance of the sea wall. Those directly outside the boundaries and thus not eligible for the tax were said to have got away " Scott Free". Residents with land were required to grow thorn bushes for building of the wall, as thorn twigs were believed impervious to sea water. Failure resulted in an ear being cut off.
Court Room and Gaol
In the New Hall today, there is a perfect 18th century court room, which is now a museum displaying many interesting relics and antiques, and the old gaol. The last court was held in 1951.
The gaol, built in 1797, is right next to the Court House It consisted of two rooms, one of which was known as The Gaol. The gaol was 15 ft by 10 ft and 8 ft high, with a boarded floor and table and shelf for provisions. There was no fire place and there was a sewer in one corner. The other room was named The Bridewell and was 11 ft by 10ft and 6ft 3ins high. Both of these rooms had an iron double-grated window, looking into a small court paved with flagstones. The rooms had double wooden doors, strongly clamped with iron. There was straw and blankets on the floors to sleep on.
The gaol was in use until 1866, when the New Romney constables were superceded by the County Police.
The Corporation of Romney Marsh, who are resonsible for New Hall, are very happy to have visitors, especially groups, but the visit must be by prior appointment. Please contact Yvonne Wanstall, Clerk to the Corporation
Call: 07795 448035, to make an appointment.
Dymchurch Martello Tower
Howletts Wild Animal Park and Port Lympne Reserve
New Beach Holiday Park
Marlie Holiday Park